Your favourite antivirus families?
Norton Insufficient validation of 'SymTDI' driver input buffer
Release date: March 15, 2007
Last update: April 1, 2007
Testing program: BTP00012P002NF.zip
Norton insufficiently protects its driver \Device\SymEvent against a manipulation by malicious applications and it fails to validate its input buffer. It is possible to open this driver and send arbitrary data to it, which are implicitly believed to be valid. It is possible to assemble the data in the input buffer such that the driver performs an invalid memory operation and crashes the whole operating system. Further impacts of this bug (like possibility of arbitrary code execution in the kernel mode) were not examined.
- Norton Personal Firewall 2006 version 220.127.116.11
- Norton Personal Firewall 2006 version 18.104.22.168
- probably all versions of Norton Personal Firewall 2006, Norton Internet Security 2006 and other products that use SymTDI driver
- possibly older versions of Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Internet Security
- 2007-03-15: Vulnerability confirmed by popular information sources
- 2007-03-15: Advisory released
- 2007-03-15: Vendor notification