Your favourite antivirus families?
BlackICE Filelock protection bypass Vulnerability
Release date: October 15, 2006
Last update: October 27, 2006
Character:Complete system control
Testing program: BTP00013P003BI.zip
BlackICE PC Protection protects its files against manipulation by malicious software. Its critical files like its database of trusted applications or firewall configuration are protected. The list of protected files is stored in filelock.txt in the BlackICE installation directory. If this file is deleted files mentioned in filelock.txt are not protected any more and can be changed by malicious applications. The implemented protection allows malicious applications to delete this file using native API function ZwDeleteFile. This can result in a bypass of all BlackICE protection mechanisms because its internal componenets can be replaced with fake copies. The situation is even easier for the attacker because the component control fails to recognize fake components in BlackICE processes.
- BlackICE PC Protection 3.6.cpu
- BlackICE PC Protection 3.6.cpj
- probably all versions of BlackICE PC Protection 3.6
- possibly older versions of BlackICE PC Protection
- 2006-10-16: Vulnerability confirmed by popular information sources
- 2006-10-15: Advisory released
- 2006-10-15: Vendor notification